Bible College Attitudes: 5 Underlying Myths About Relationships
1. “Dating for marriage” means “you know you’re going to marry the person before you start dating them.”
2. If you’ve been dating for a year or more, you’re probably going to get married.
3. If you take a girl out for coffee, she’s immediately examining her ring finger with a diamond in mind. *
4. You’re really lame if you come to Bible college while under consideration of the possibility of marriage sometime in the next four years. *
5. If you kiss before you’re married, you’re probably having sex. And as all good Bible students, we KNOW what the Bible says about sex before marriage.
* Not to say that some girls AREN’T……. but this sentence probably does NOT represent the entire female population.
** A lot of people get married in college (even secular ones, GASP!). What else do you expect out of several hundred young men and women in their hormonal prime in the company of like-minded good Christian counterparts who are all heading into some sort of mission field or another? Bible college students are in a better position than either of my siblings, who resorted to online dating after several failed attempts at finding someone decent.
General disclaimer: I address general attitudes, not yours specifically. I’m sure the attitudes listed here aren’t yours, just everybody else’s, because you don’t have any bad, stereotypical attitudes.